Sunday, March 01, 2009

last one, i promise....

Today was the day! My friends and I competed in our first half marathon. 13.1 miles. It was hard. I felt like the first 7 miles were pretty good, then it got much harder for me. By mile 10 I was walking between bursts of running. The bottom of my left foot really hurt. I was disappointed to let me buddies go on ahead, but I was tired and dang, that foot hurt!

The weather was a blessing. Yesterday this area had winds in excess of 25 mph and I was sincerely praying that they would die down by this morning. We hit some pretty strong
wind on the highway during the last three miles. It was cold, but bearable. Some young things even wore short shorts and I saw one gal in a sports bra only. I wanted to ask her if she thought a tshirt would really slow her down that much ;)
There was a moment of panic at the starting line when I could not find W and N. We didn't have a specific meeting place and the crowd overwhelmed me and I started alone. Yes, I was near tears. I caught up to my speedy friend and she ran with me the first mile til we caught up to the other Bronchia Babes.
{That isn't our real team name, but we do refer to ourselves as such, especially when we run in cold wind!}
We got in our groove and waved each time W's sweet husband passed us. He must have turned that van around 15 times to see us and cheer. At mile 9 my family was waiting. They had signs and a video camera and were so enthusiastic. I made a quick run to an indoor potty and we were off again.
This is where I lost some of my mojo. I don't know if it was mental or physical, but I had a super hard time getting going again and never really felt good again. Like I said, by mile 10 I was on my own as those two kept on keeping on. I walked to one cone, ran to the third and repeated this pattern in some fashion for the rest of the race.

Crossing the finish line was spectacular. My parents, sister and brother in law and many friends were there to cheer. I was ready to be done. 2 hours and 31 minutes is a long time to be running.

Afterwards there was some hugging and picture taking and then we headed to the cars. It was still cold! We met Mr Brick and the babes and headed to a mexican restaurant I was dying to try. Apparently, my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I ate about 10 bites and the rest awaits in my refrigerator til dinner time.
Tomorrow I get to wear my shirt that says 'Did the Dash' and my super cool medal to school. My #1 asked if I got a medal because I was in 1st place. I said I did better than I ever had before. And that's the truth.
Now we look on to the next event. What race are you doing?
Happy Sunday~
PS - About that foot that hurt. When I took my shoes and socks off in the truck I saw that I have a blood blister on the edge of my foot where all the callouses are. Lovely. But it did validate my need to walk some.....


Anonymous said...

You did incredible!!! I saw your family at the in-laws house w/the sign and I saw W's hubby driving by a couple of times also!

You worked so hard for this and finished w/a wonderful time! You did amazing-what an accomplishment! Hopefully we'll get a chance to run together soon!

Congrats again!


Susan said...

WOW!!!! You all did great and should be so proud of yourselves. :)

Laura P said...

CONGRATULATIONS Jamee! I am so very proud of you.

Sarah L. Knapp said...

I am so impressed by you!!!! You make me want to run:-)

MiChal said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FYI, I ran my first 1/2 just under 3 hours. I so know what those voices are like.

Kalley said...

Woohoo! Congrats. You're Awesome!