Thursday, December 27, 2007

And in this corner we have

a momma who has been there and done that. I have a 4.5 yr old and a 3.5 yr old. I have done most of it before and done it rather recently.

In that corner we have OKB, my #3.



Suddenly she has turned into a bit of a momma's girl. This has manifested itself in a struggle yesterday at nap and then a long round last night from 3-4 am. I have always been a strong proponent of letting my babies get themselves to sleep. I do lots of holding and cuddling, but when it is bedtime, they are on their own. #1 had a few teary nights. I used to turn the monitor off for #2 and then fall asleep holding it in my hand. We were living across town at the Fire Ant Ranch and there were many square feet between his room and ours. Both learned to fall asleep on their own and I was proud.


Last night OKB came into the ring just before 3 am. I dutifully went down the hall to replace her pacifier when I heard her fussing. She can do it herself, but it is often quicker and easier if I just do it. As soon as she heard me she got up on her hands and knees and started rocking and talking. Her voice is extra cute....rather deep and pronounced. I rubbed her head, started her music and said nothing. As I walked away she started crying, so I shut her door. I knew the fight would have to take place tonight. (I already mentioned that nap was a bit of a struggle) She went on for an hour.


Now, befroe you turn me into CPS, rest assured that there were no painful screams or shrieks. She would stop on occasion. I just knew I had to outlast this, even at the 45 min mark or all the earlier time would be wasted. And she did fall asleep. And I just now hear her up and it is 9:20 am. I am going to encourage her to not stay up quite so late tonight!


For the record, I did begin composing this post while I was laying in bed waiting for Ms. OKB to give up the fight.


And as soon as I dozed off after winning that round my #1 came in to tell me she had a bad dream and I had to return her to her bed.


And I did manage to get to the gym this morning for 530 pump. I came back home and slept from 7-9 though! I just can't get warm....


So, how'd YOU sleep?

Happy Thursday~


8 comments:

Kelly said...

I slept better than you it sounds like. haha I remember the 1st night we put our foot down on Brandt sleeping in his bed. He screamed his head off and I laid in the room next to him and cried. When he finally fell asleep, like 45 minutes later, I went in to check on him and he had found his little praying bear and was snuggling with him. It broke my heart, because he normally snuggled with me. We sent the other 2 kiddos to their room much earlier, because I had a very hard time with Brandt (he must have been 6 or 7 months old).

Myrna said...

You did great! I know it's the hardest thing to do, but don't give up. Being a mom who didn't learn that until my last child I know the difference between the two. I'll wait to hear how round 2 goes...we all know there will be one!

Bobbie said...

Good for you! Hopefully, it will get easier each night...keep us posted...

Sarah Knapp said...

So where's O sleeping nowadays?

MiChal said...

how do you keep a bossy 2 year old in his own bed?

Laura Brittain said...

The thing is ... everyone fights that fight sometime in their child's life ... it is just much easier to do when they are babies than when they are 4 or 5 or 10!!! You did great!

DeAnn Aalbers said...

Way to go! We're having to fight the fight again after spending time in TN over Christmas. Due to tight quarters, Caden slept with us for 5 nights - and he assumed this would continue once we got home.

I think he's finally figured it out :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! Mine is experiencing that a bit early! :o)

Hang in there!!!

Love,
Quiltermama